At Dog Gone Amazing, we hear many questions about how to keep doggos happy, healthy, and well-behaved, and a common one is, “What should I feed my dog?”
We love to focus on training, but your dog’s overall health and wellness are a big deal, and nutrition plays a big role. What you feed your pup today can affect their health later in life.
Like most dog owners, you want to provide the best food for your pup. What’s the best way to do that? By understanding canine nutrition! This guide will discuss what dogs should and shouldn’t eat and give tips on choosing the right food for your dog. So whether you’re just starting out or you’ve been feeding your dog kibble for years, this guide is for you.
Why is nutrition essential to a dog’s quality of life?
Nutrition is vital to a dog’s quality of life for many reasons. First and foremost, good food is essential for keeping your dog healthy. A well-nourished dog is less likely to suffer from illnesses or diseases. Good nutrition also helps keep your dog’s coat shiny and healthy and can even help improve their behavior. There is a direct connection between your dog’s gut health and overall health and their ability to learn. Studies have shown that nutritionally starved dogs are more reactive.
A poor diet can hurt a dog’s health and well-being. For example, dogs fed a diet of junk food are more likely to suffer from obesity, heart disease, and other health problems. Poor nutrition can also lead to nutritional deficiencies, which can cause various health problems.
That’s why providing your dog with a nutritious diet is so important. You can help your dog stay healthy and happy for years to come by feeding your dog the right foods.
Getting to the bottom (of the bowl) when it comes to dog food quality
Many types of dog food are available on the market, and it can be challenging to know which one is right for your pup. There are three main types of dog food: kibble, canned, and raw.
- Kibble is the most common type of dog food. It is made up of dry pellets designed to be mixed with water before being fed to a dog. Kibble is affordable and easy to store, making it a popular choice for pet owners.
- Canned dog food comprises soft, wet pellets usually served as a complete meal. Canned food is more expensive than kibble but contains more nutrients and is easier to digest.
- Raw dog food is made from unprocessed meat, bones, and organs. It is the most nutrient-rich dog food but also the most expensive.
All three types of dog food have pros and cons, so it’s essential to do your research before deciding what to feed your pup.
Regarding grading dog food, there are two main factors: quality and ingredients. Food quality refers to how well the ingredients are processed and how much nutrition they contain. The ingredients refer to the specific proteins, carbohydrates, fruits, and vegetables used in the recipe.
Foods that contain high-quality ingredients and are processed using minimal methods are of high quality. These foods typically cost more but are worth the investment, as they provide your dog with all the nutrients they need for optimum health.
Foods with low-quality ingredients or excessive fillers are of low quality. These foods are often less expensive but can damage a dog’s health over time.
So, what’s the best way to choose high-quality food for your pup? By reading the ingredient list. Here are some tips on how to do that:
- Look for foods that list whole proteins as the first ingredient. Proteins are essential for dogs and should make up much of their diet.
- Avoid foods that list grains or fillers as the first ingredient. Grains can cause digestive problems in dogs and are less nutritious than proteins.
- Avoid foods that list sugar or artificial additives as ingredients. Sugar can lead to obesity and other health problems in dogs, while artificial additives can be harmful if ingested in large quantities.
By reading the ingredient list, you can be sure that you’re feeding your pup a high-quality food that will provide them with all the nutrients they need for optimum health.
So…What Should I Feed My Dog?
When it comes to dog nutrition, there is no one-size-fits-all solution. But we recommend human-grade food for all the reasons above.
But we also know that providing raw food for your dog can be expensive and inconvenient. That’s why we use The Honest Kitchen, a human-grade pet food you can buy locally with our buddies Natural Paws.
Your veterinarian can also help you find a high-quality dog food that fits your budget. There are many affordable, high-quality foods on the market that will provide your pup with all the nutrients they need without breaking the bank,
Now that you know a little bit more about dog nutrition, you can decide what to feed your pup. By investing in high-quality food, you can help them stay healthy and happy for years to come.
Want to learn more about the best ways to care for your dog? Our dog trainers speak canine fluently! Click here to learn more about our dog training programs and more.